The small town and the community of Alcoutim (about 900 inhabitants) lie in the same-named county in the Northeast of the Algarve by the border river > Guadiana <.
Coordinates: 37° 28′ N, 7° 28′ W
Various finds document that already in prehistoric times people have settled here.
The place is noted for its handicraft. Produced are wool carpets, embroidery, wickerwork and pottery.
View over the river onto the Spanish place Sanlúcar de Guadiana and the above fortress Castillo de San Marcos. The river can be crossed exclusively by boat; the fares are moderate.
In the locality one finds banks, the post office, restaurants, snackbars, bistros and cafés. A neat sand beach (with infrastructure) being at a tributary of the Guadiana is signposted.
Partly the streets of the locality are very narrow. Typical town houses flush against these streets - the former having nor dooryard, the latter no pavement.
Castelo de Alcoutim
The castle was built in the 14th century to protect locality and trade. In the 17th century the castle was adapted for the artillery. Since 1878 the facility was not used for military purposes any more and a slaughterhouse was accomodated in the complex.
An older castle, being erected in the 8th century by the Moors and from which only remains have survived, is situated roughly 1,5 km north of the town.
The Ermida de Nossa Senhora da Conceição was built in the 1620ies. It is said that a church of an unknown age had been there before. The Ermida was being reconstructed from the end of the 17th century until the beginning of the 18th century.