Capital of the Algarve
Faro is the biggest city of the Algarve (about 44,100 inhabitants), its capital and a community in the same-named county.
Coordinates: 37° 1′ N, 7° 56′ W
Faro is well signposted on the N125, on the A22 as well as in many places in the Algarve.
Already the Phoenicians and the Greeks settled in today's urban area and used the rich fisheries in front of the coast. The Romans called the fortified place > Ossonoba < and traded with wine, olives and meat products. In 418 p. Chr. n. the Visigoths conquered the town and named it > Santa Maria <. Starting from the year 713 today's approximately area of Faro was reined by the Moors and obtained the name > Hárune <. King Afonso III. and the crusaders reclaimed the town from the Moors in the year 1249. In the 15th century the first books of Portugal were printed in the jewish community of Faro. In the year 1577 the seat of the bishop was transferred from Silves to Faro. After the heavy earthquake of 1755 the seat of the government was translated from Lagos to Faro, which had been less destroyed.