Ferragudo (about 2,000 inhabitants) is a community and a small town in the county of Lagoa.
Coordinates: 37° 7′ N, 8° 31′ W
The town is situated opposite > Portimão < by the Atlantic delta of the > Rio Arade <.
Finds document that the area had been settled already in prehistoric time and later on by Phoenicians, Carthaginians and Romans. From the time of the dominion of the Moors between 711 and 1250 exist no evidents for a settlement and occupation in today's town area. In the 14th century the beginning of a re-settlement by fishermen is attested.
Also today, Ferragudo is a place where life depends on the sea and on the river. Fishermen have here their daily job, whereas tourists visit the small town because of its climate and the various beaches in the near surrounding. There are banks, the post office, diverse gastronomic facilities and shops.
From 1502 to 1537 the bishop of Silves had the > Castelo de São João do Arade < constructed for the protection against enemy attacks, including pirates.
The Igreja de Nossa Sra. da Conceição, also called Igreja Matriz de Ferragudo, was built in the 17th century and has been reconstructed after the earthquake of 1755.
At the beginning of the 20th century and in the 1940ies the church has been renovated again.
The church is daily opened for visitors from 10.00 h to 12.00 and from 15.00 h to 17.00 h.