Lagos is a seaport and a community (about 22,500 inhabitants) in the Algarve in Portugal.
Coordinates: 37° 6′ N, 8° 41′ W
Lacobriga is the first known name of the settlement. Far more than 2,000 years ago the Phoenicians already settled down at the bay of Lagos and afterwards the Romans. The abundance of tuna and sardines had been extraordinary there. In the 14th and 15th century the harbour of Lagos was often the starting point of passages around Africa in order to find the seaway to India.
View onto the bay and the port entrance of Lagos. In 1433 Gil Eanes set sail to travel beyond the Cap Bojador. This was said to be dangerous or even impossible at that time (15 unsuccessful attempts). In 1573 Lagos received the town privilege and shortly afterwards became the capital of the Algarve, remaining it until 1756.
A caravel in the port entrance of Lagos. This type of ship had a displacement of up to 180 t, it had few draught and it permitted sailing also with difficult wind as well as frequenting the mouth of a river.
The newly constructed (1995) harbour of Lagos. Along its promenade are diverse restaurants, cafés, snackbars and shops. Here you can book boat trips for visiting caves or watching dolphins.
With the expeditions came slaves from Africa and in 1444 the first market for this kind of "goods" was established in Europe. Only in 1820 the slave trade was prohibited. The building has overcome time and is used for changing exhibitions.
Substantial parts of the town fortification have been built up again in 1755.
Lagos has a big pedestrian area with everything the heart desires. You find banks, a post office, restaurants, cafés, bistros, souvenir and antique shops.
On the promenade along the river > Bensafrim < is a market during the season. Clothing, cheap jewellery and handicraft are offered.
The newly constructed train station of Lagos. It represents the western final stop of the > Linha do Algarve <. Travellers have to continue their journey with busses or taxis from here. The train station is situated only about 100 m from the harbour and about 300 - 700 m from the city center.