Museums and Churches in Lagoa
Enter subtitle here
Igreja Matriz de Lagoa
The Igreja Matriz dates from the 16th century and was reconstructed after the earthquake of 1755 had completely destroyed it.
Coordinates: 37°08'10.5"N 8°27'17.5"W
Nossa Senhora da Luz (Our Lady of the Candles) is the patroness of the church.
The ceiling of the church is covered with wood. In the side altars are positioned paintings and relics from the 17th and 18th century.
Convento de Jão José
The cloister was founded between 1710 and 1713 by nuns of the Carmelite Order.
Coordinates: 37°08'12.8"N 8°27'13.9"W
They accommodated female orphans or abandoned girls and gave them an education.
At the beginning of the 19th century the convent went through changeful years. Finally, the Dominican nuns took possession of the convent in 1876.
The building is in a sound condition. The cloistered courtyard as well as the various exhibits are worth visiting.
Mercado de Culturas
Every year the cloister and the surrounding streets host the market of cultures. Handicraft and culinary of the three cultures (Muslims, Jews and Christians) are offered at diverse booths to the guests.
The trade fair for confectionary in Lagoa is very popular with all age groups. The companies of the county present their products during 3 days per year in the convent and on the open spaces surrounding it.
Igreja da Misericórdia de Lagoa
The date of construction of the church is unknown. Reconstruction work was realised during the 17th and 18th century. At the same time were added paintings and Azulejos (painted tiles).
Coordinates: 37°08'09.5"N 8°27'10.0"W