Olhão is a town and a community (about 14,900 inhabitants) in the same-named county. The harbour of Olhão is the biggest one in the Algarve.
Coordinates: 37° 2′ N, 7° 50′ W
At the time of the Roman occupation the region belonged to the province > Lusitania <. After the banishment of the Moors around the year 1240, large parts of the region remained uninhabited. Today's urban area had been repopulated only at the beginning of the 17th century by fishermen living mostly in simple straw huts. In the late 18th century solid stone houses were built following the example set by the Moors. Due to the cubical architecture in large parts of the town one feels even today relocated to North Africa.
The administration of the county, of the community and of the town is situated in a house which is typical for this town.
In the town are banks, the post, shopping centers, supermarkets, all sorts of shops and boutiques, restaurants, bistros, snackbars and cafés.
From the harbour (eastern promenade) go ferry routes to the islands (Culatra, Farol and Armora) of the natural reserve Ria Formosa.
The modern pedestrian zone tempts to stroll and to shop.
In the vicinity of the market halls and of the harbour fishermen shape the image of the town. You can watch from the promenade how fishing boats are leaving the harbour or are coming back from draught.
Old and above all beautiful structure in the old part (19th century) of the town. The frontages of the houses are often covered with tiles (Azulejos).
The sea and fishing are omnipresent here. The Azulejos on houses and park benches show mainly subjects from navigation.